[mythtv-users] frontend for HDTV

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue May 20 21:24:07 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 1:57 pm, David Schlenk wrote:

> Still, I think its worth trying a newer nvidia card before you spend
> the money on a new CPU/mobo/RAM. If your usage pattern is similar to
> mine you might be able to save a couple hundred bucks. If you can't
> use the video card you get just sell it or return it depending on how
> you came to acquire it... maybe even make a buck or two and sell it
> for more. It's easy to just give in and throw money at a problem but I
> personally find it gratifying to get by with what I have unless I've
> exhausted all my low cost options. If you've got the money though new
> kit is always a good time. :)

I'm cheap too, but...  You can't get a new mobo with an AGP slot anymore.
So you buy an AGP card, then realize it won't work, and now you're out $40
for the useless AGP card + mobo + $40 for a PCIe card....

I had an athlon XP 2000+ that I used as a frontend.  It would do HD as
long as I fed it out the svideo port and used 800x600 resolution.
Anything out the VGA port at a higher resolution resulted in stuttering.

The big problem with that machine was the heat and noise.  Those Athlon XP
CPUs ran HOT HOT HOT!

Anyway, if the OP can get HD out of a 1500 more power to him.  Based on my
experience it will be touch and go if at all possible.

--
  o__