[mythtv-users] frontend for HDTV

David Schlenk mythtv at schdav.org
Tue May 20 20:57:51 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 2:54 PM, Jason Keirstead <jason at keirstead.org> wrote:
> I'm gonna have to disagree with the people recommending new hardware.
>> That should work fine as long as you're only doing MPEG2 decoding. I
>> had a 1700+ that decoded with an nvidia card just fine (but then it
>> broke so now I have a 3200+ or something... whatever super cheap CPU I
>> could find). Just get a "new" video card... 5200 or better (but stay
>> away from the much hated 7300). I have a 6200 and 6600 and they both
>> handle HD very well with XvMC. If your current hardware is working for
>> you otherwise why waste the money. I've found a few nvidia cards for
>> cheap searching the computer section of my local craigslist. That way
>> you don't have to pay for shipping or wait around to win an auction
>> maybe.
>>

> It'll work fine as long as you never have to look at the EPG maybe.
>
> See my email just this morning X.org eating 100% CPU for details... I
> have a simmilar setup to him (getting MPEG direct from DVB, no
> encoding), and a far superior machine, and I can't play back HD and use
> the EPG simultaneously.

You know I've never done that (used the EPG and HDTV at the same
time). I guess my usage pattern is different... I hardly ever watch
live TV, and if I do it isn't with Myth.

Still, I think its worth trying a newer nvidia card before you spend
the money on a new CPU/mobo/RAM. If your usage pattern is similar to
mine you might be able to save a couple hundred bucks. If you can't
use the video card you get just sell it or return it depending on how
you came to acquire it... maybe even make a buck or two and sell it
for more. It's easy to just give in and throw money at a problem but I
personally find it gratifying to get by with what I have unless I've
exhausted all my low cost options. If you've got the money though new
kit is always a good time. :)