[mythtv-users] specific nvidia AGP card that can do HD playback?

David Schlenk mythtv at schdav.org
Thu May 15 00:21:23 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 6:22 PM, Misty P <mistyp at thekorn.net> wrote:
> David Schlenk wrote:
>> I have a KWorld ATSC 110 that works great except one of my frontends
>> has an nvidia 6200 that apparently doesn't have the chops to do HD
>> playback via XvMC. I've tried multiple versions of the driver and a
>> few different distros and it just won't keep up. So I'm looking for a
>> very specific recommnedation for a cheap nvidia AGP card that will
>> handle ATSC content. I don't really do any x264 content. Here's my
>> system info:
> (deleted)
>>
>> nvidia card I have that doesn't work: PNY Verto GeForce 6200 Video
>> Card (VCG62128APB) which lspci says:
>> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV44A [GeForce
>> 6200] (rev a1)
>>
>> I'd like to be able to get this machine playing HD back without having
>> to replace the mobo/cpu/ram. I know i'm using a celeron and i should
>> be punished but what can i say it was cheap, and so am I.
>>
>> Any tips would be great, including "i have that card and this is how i
>> got it to work"
>
> I'm running a 6200LE (gave up on my 7300 -- pile of junk!), using XvMC for
> ATSC HD every day.  I am, however, running a PCIe-16x card rather than an
> AGP version, but both busses should have more than enough bandwidth to do
> what you need.
>
> In order to get it working, I *had* to go all the way up to the latest
> nvidia drivers ; the binary ones included with ubuntu 8.04 simply wouldn't
> work for me with XvMC.  Since I'm relatively lazy, I used envy-NG to
> download and install the drivers.  It's a piece of cake!  (Then follow the
> wiki's directions, of course.)
>

> If *that* doesn't do it, then I'd download nvclock with apt-get, and take a
> look at the card's clocking.  You kind of alluded to being cheap, and maybe
> the card is too underclocked (read: really cheap card) at stock.  (maybe)
>
> ...but I'd install the latest drivers with envy first, then see where you're
> at.

Well I might be getting somewhere. I tried a lot of things and the
best I came up with is:
NvAGP = 1
disable composite (helped a lot)
change the xvmc library in XvMCConfig to the nvidia wrapper
and now I get playback that isn't choppy but is totally motion blurred
like Bob isn't deinterlacing. I tried the other one but my
understanding is that it isn't supported in xvmc. Am I crazy or didn't
there used to be other methods (kernel comes to mind)? I ran with -v
playback and I don't see any bob deint failure lines. I'm running the
frontend at HD576i (I have a 4:3 CRT HDTV that looks awful @ HD1080i -
apparently nvidia's fault according to the internets so I run it at
this res with a virtual resolution of 1024x768) but if I up it to
1080i the motion blurring goes away (but its crazy ugly due to my
crappy TV and stretched because its a 4:3 TV). I tried setting a
modeline for a virtual resolution of 1440x1080 but it didn't work,
although I'm not really sure if I did it right.
Anyway I'll try with the envy drivers to see if that fixes the
deinterlacing problem.

Thanks everyone for your help.