[mythtv-users] specific nvidia AGP card that can do HD playback?

Misty P mistyp at thekorn.net
Wed May 14 23:22:53 UTC 2008

David Schlenk wrote:
> I have a KWorld ATSC 110 that works great except one of my frontends
> has an nvidia 6200 that apparently doesn't have the chops to do HD
> playback via XvMC. I've tried multiple versions of the driver and a
> few different distros and it just won't keep up. So I'm looking for a
> very specific recommnedation for a cheap nvidia AGP card that will
> handle ATSC content. I don't really do any x264 content. Here's my
> system info:
(deleted)

> nvidia card I have that doesn't work: PNY Verto GeForce 6200 Video
> Card (VCG62128APB) which lspci says:
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV44A [GeForce
> 6200] (rev a1)
>
> I'd like to be able to get this machine playing HD back without having
> to replace the mobo/cpu/ram. I know i'm using a celeron and i should
> be punished but what can i say it was cheap, and so am I.
>
> Any tips would be great, including "i have that card and this is how i
> got it to work"

I'm running a 6200LE (gave up on my 7300 -- pile of junk!), using XvMC for
ATSC HD every day.  I am, however, running a PCIe-16x card rather than an
AGP version, but both busses should have more than enough bandwidth to do
what you need.

In order to get it working, I *had* to go all the way up to the latest
nvidia drivers ; the binary ones included with ubuntu 8.04 simply wouldn't
work for me with XvMC.  Since I'm relatively lazy, I used envy-NG to
download and install the drivers.  It's a piece of cake!  (Then follow the
wiki's directions, of course.)

If *that* doesn't do it, then I'd download nvclock with apt-get, and take a
look at the card's clocking.  You kind of alluded to being cheap, and maybe
the card is too underclocked (read: really cheap card) at stock.  (maybe)

...but I'd install the latest drivers with envy first, then see where you're
at.