[mythtv-users] increasing load

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Tue May 13 05:43:24 UTC 2008

Joe Ripley wrote:
> On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 9:36 PM, Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
>>  Any ideas why the load could be rising?
>>  Or how I could debug this?
>
> Like I said, it could be I/O waiting load. Try installing iostat and

That would cause more extra load.

> see if there's any unusual disk activity.

Just streaming of a few mbit/s of three lowish bitrate TV-channels plus
the normal mythtv/mysql interaction.

Also, check 'dmesg' and
> your /var/log/messages file for any warnings from the kernel.

None, except for a bunch of non-related hald traces.

> A bad hard drive,

No SATA errors.

> faulty cable,

Good transfer rates.

> incorrect DMA setting

Capabilities:
        LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
        Queue depth: 32
        Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, with device specific
minimum
        R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16  Current = 16
        Recommended acoustic management value: 128, current value: 128
        DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5 *udma6
             Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns

> and other I/O
> problems can all cause high load values even when most of the CPU is

None found.
Also the same activity (streaming three TV-channels to disk) caused no
issues in the beginning.
The amount of RAM of this box, 1GB, is not that big that it would take
days for the load to grow if it were disk-related.

The memory consumption of the backend is also increasing.

Udo