[mythtv-users] Ripping with MythDVD

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon May 12 17:43:33 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 02:57:52PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/08/2008 02:40 PM, Doug Young wrote:
> > On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Jeff Clark wrote:
> >> I've started ripping my DVD collection down to my Myth box using MythDVD.
> >> I am selecting "Perfect" for the quality, but this is producing files in
> >> the range of 4 gigs a piece, which will fill my hard drive faster than
> >> anything.
> >>
> > Short, pithy answer:
> > Get a bigger drive
>
> Here, here!  And, here:

That only works for so long...

MPEG2 is an ancient codec. Both divx and h264 are much better and
quite a lot of content doesn't warrant anything more than moderately
low bitrate divx. Most movies will do more than well enough with low
bitrate h264.

For the rest, the space you save on everything else will give you ample room.

Try the default x264 settings in mencoder.

[deletia]