[mythtv-users] Ripping with MythDVD

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon May 12 17:46:36 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 03:42:33PM -0400, Gordon McLellan wrote:
> not to go too far off topic, but does anyone have suggestions for
> using mythdvd (or any linux ripper) for dealing with "difficult"
> movies?  Recently movies I've been buying literally crash the computer
> when I try to rip them, in Windows or Linux.  For example, Golden
> Compass.

   Make sure this isn't a defective disk. The slysoft forums will
be a good place to help sort this out. There are a number of titles
that are notorious in this regard.

> Windows has the "anydvd" product which bypasses the protection, but
> I've had limited success with it.

   If you've got a defective disk, AnyDVD won't help. Infact, the
Linux ripping tools are better at working with defective disks than
the Windows stuff. Windows will see the bad data and just bail.