[mythtv-users] front end over VPN or ssh

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Thu May 8 12:18:46 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 8:48 AM, J <jsweepstakes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm looking for a way to add a front end over ssh, is there a way to cache
> the data in order to download it and then watch it after its done? [this
> also would be useful for wireless clients that are on a slower connection
> then the encoded rate]

The best option I came up with for very slow links would be:

 - Remote frontend
 - Custom user job on master backend that transcodes (to reduce size) and
SCP (to move file) to frontend

Now, here I think you have some options.  You could just leave the frontend
connected to the backend and put the files in the same mount locations that
the backend has but leave them local and do not mount the actual storage
from the backend.  I *think* that the frontend will play local files first,
then try to go to the backend for streaming.

You also might be able to run a slave backend on the frontend and do some
hostname changes in the DB for recordings to "move" them to the slave
backend storage and Myth will load them from there

A third option might be to run a completely separate Myth system, move the
file, insert the DB entry (nuvexport will make SQL for you), then
mythcommflag to rebuild the seektable and your frontend would have a list of
only recordings it had cached.  I think this has often been proposed for a
car type configuration where the connectivity is intermittent.

I hope this gives you something to chew on and some ideas.

Kevin