[mythtv-users] Controlling myth from the deck

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue May 6 03:59:27 UTC 2008

Yan Seiner wrote:
> I have some speakers and wifi on the deck.  During the summer, I run
> mythmusic on a frontend in the house, and pipe the music outside.
>
> Controlling it is a challenge though.  Last summer I used a laptop, which
> sucked.  You can't see a laptop screen in bright sunlight and running into
> the house to change the volume or skip a track sucks.
>
> Sunlight visible LCDs are way too expensive and completely unrealistic for
> this, so I'm looking for something really basic; an old reflective laptop
> would be ideal if I could figure out a way to hook wifi up to it....
>
> Is anyone doing this?  If so, how?

Think outside the box. If you have wifi on the deck, how about using a
Nokia N810 internet tablet?
Touchscreen, portable, programmable (runs Linux!)

http://www.nseries.com/index.html#l=products,n810

There is a program called mythetomer which turns the N810 into a myth
remote, using wifi to the network port.

http://netti.nic.fi/~icewood/mythetomer/index.php

A lot smaller than a laptop, and at 5"x3"x 1/2" its a lot
smaller...shirt pocket size. Good for a couple of days on standby and at
least 3 evenings of myth-watching.

And a lot cheaper than a good laptop, and no more than a cheap laptop.

And you can check your e-mail and surf the net too..
And built-in GPS for extra usefulness.

Geoff