[mythtv-users] Controlling myth from the deck

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue May 6 00:15:06 UTC 2008

Brian Wood wrote:
> On May 5, 2008, at 5:15 PM, Yan Seiner wrote:
>

>> Sunlight visible LCDs are way too expensive and completely
>> unrealistic for
>> this,
>>

> My Blackberry is quite visible in sunlight, is that "completely
> unrealistic"?

IIRC a blackberry uses a transflective LCD - it has a mirror behind the
LCD as well as a backlight.  That's visible in daylight.  Alas the new
color LCDs are not visible in bright sunlight as they don't have the mirror.

>> so I'm looking for something really basic; an old reflective laptop
>> would be ideal if I could figure out a way to hook wifi up to it....
>>

> I have a couple of old DSTN laptops, I use PCMCIA cards to put them on
> an 802.11 network.
>
> I have a Gyration RF wireless keyboard that works well with Myth, it
> should work from a deck.
>
> Have you tried a conventional IR remote? Maybe with an IR repeater?
>
> There are RF-to-IR remote setups available, but it would be silly to
> pay more for your remote setup than for the entire Myth setup.

Agree there.  This has to be done cheap....

> Or do you need to have a screen visible? Hence the laptop idea?

There you go.  I need to see the screen.  Ideally I want to get a
transflective LCD laptop with a PCMCIA slot that can run vnc....  Except
that laptops have apparently disappeared from my usual reuse/recycle
channel.  :-(

> If you have kids using them in a "sneakernet" configuration might be
> the most cost-effective solution.

Heh. Then I'll get to listen to what they want.  Which, often enough, is
not really what I want.  :-)

--Yan

--
  o__