[mythtv-users] Pentium M laptop as frontend for HDTV?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon May 5 17:09:25 UTC 2008

I'm looking for a frontend for my bedroom. Currently I have a laptop
with a processor that is just barely too slow to do HDTV (it starts to
stutter after about 10-15mins of playing back HDTV). I think its a
Celeron M 1.6GHz with 1GB of RAM and a Intel 910GML graphics card.
Other than the HDTV issue it runs fine, and it plays HDTV fine for
those first 15mins, then it seems to need to "chill" for about
10-15mins to "cool off" or it just stutters constantly.

So I'm looking to replace it. I'm looking at some laptops that have
Pentium M's, up to 1.8GHz. I know the AppleTV has a 1.0GHz Pentium M
and seems to do fine with 720p, but not so well with 1080 content, so
I'm wondering if anyone knows what the minimum Pentium M required to
smoothly play back 1080i with deinterlacing enabled is (since I'll be
connecting it to a LCD monitor).

Also, what happened to the chart on the wiki that showed a bunch of
processors and their HDTV playback results? I was looking for that to
answer this question but it seems to have disappeared, all I can find
now is the playback reports that only seem to show newer, exceedingly
fast processors and their x/h264 playback ability.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!