[mythtv-users] watching videos over wireless connection.

Misty P mistyp at thekorn.net
Sun May 4 12:57:36 UTC 2008

gwgrover at windstream.net wrote:
> I have been trying to watch both live tv and recorded movies
> (recorded by mythtv) over a wifi 801.11g
> connection. Knetworkmanager reports no errors and a 62Mb/s bandwidth.

knetworkmanager is lying to you more than a politician -- that bandwidth is
IMPOSSIBLE on a g connection.

The *theoretical* limit of a g connection is 45 Mb/s.  The actual real world
throughput limit of a g connection is 22 Mb/s.  So unless you have three
radios (or are actually using 802.11n), you ain't gettin' that.

> The problem is that randomly data transferee from mythbackend appears
> to be suspended (as indicated by the little link led on the pcmcia
> card.

What's the data rate of your source file?  If it's getting close to the
real-world limit, then forget wireless unless you're living in a corn field
or bomb shelter.