[mythtv-users] watching videos over wireless connection.

Gary Dawes gary.dawes at gmail.com
Sun May 4 14:13:19 UTC 2008

2008/5/4 Misty P <mistyp at thekorn.net>:

> gwgrover at windstream.net wrote:
> > I have been trying to watch both live tv and recorded movies
> > (recorded by mythtv) over a wifi 801.11g
> > connection. Knetworkmanager reports no errors and a 62Mb/s bandwidth.
>
> knetworkmanager is lying to you more than a politician -- that bandwidth
> is
> IMPOSSIBLE on a g connection.
>
> The *theoretical* limit of a g connection is 45 Mb/s.  The actual real
> world
> throughput limit of a g connection is 22 Mb/s.  So unless you have three
> radios (or are actually using 802.11n), you ain't gettin' that.
>
> > The problem is that randomly data transferee from mythbackend appears
> > to be suspended (as indicated by the little link led on the pcmcia
> > card.
>
> What's the data rate of your source file?  If it's getting close to the
> real-world limit, then forget wireless unless you're living in a corn
> field
> or bomb shelter.

Live TV, recordings (approx 2.2Gb hour), and movies ripped to Myth avi files
all work fine for me over wireless to a Windows laptop running the alpha
port of mythfrontend, mythtvplayer also works without problem, and I play
the movies of a samba share using mplayer on the laptop.

This is also while the network is coping with  2 other wireless laptops, and
2  nokia internet tablets. All running 802.2G with wpa. so there should be
no problems for you.

My first suggestion would be to update the firmware on your router, and
wireless drivers on all connected devices possible. I have done that on a
couple  of networks belonging to friends that have played up.

the other thing to check for is interference. check what other devices are
operating. Microwaves are a favorite. See if your dropouts happen at regular
times, this may give a clue to the problem.

Also have you checked that everything works over a wired link? May not be
the network.

Hope this is helpful.

Gaz