[mythtv-users] OT but please help if you can. Ubuntu upgrade broke my resolution

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Sat May 3 08:35:01 UTC 2008

R. G. Newbury wrote:
> Damian wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> My projector was a pain in the ass to set up. It literally took me
>> months of coming back to it on and off to get the resolution I wanted. I
>> finally got a xorg file that worked just right, and then upgrading to
>> 8.04 of ubuntu seems to have completely broken my display.
>>
>> I've attached a copy of the old xorg file that I've been using fine in
>> the past. Is there anything in here that would break 8.04, but work fine
>> in 7.10? I've also attached the current xorg.conf which the system has
>> modified during my efforts.
>>
>> Also (this could be the cause of the problem), the nvidia drivers don't
>> seem to like me in 8.04. I've always used Envy yo install my driver and
>> it's worked flawlessly. I'm trying to use EnvyNG in 8.04, but it's
>> struggling. If I try to install 169.12, it crashed every time. It seems
>> to install 96.43.05 ok, but I can still only get 800x600 when I use the
>> old xorg file.
>>
>> I tried uninstalling all drivers and just enabling the Ubuntu restricted
>> driver. It didn't like that, and too me to a low resolution mode.
>>
>> I'm now running without any 3d acceleration at 800x600. Any ideas what
>> could be going on? By the way, I have a FX5200 card.
>

> Just looked at you xorg.conf files. I'm not at the nividia based
> machine, but your xorg,conf file is not set up for XvMC.
> Nvidia do not provide a 'man' file, nor the readme in the package, but
> it IS on-line on the linux drivers page.
>
> Appendix B lists all of the xorg.conf switches and Appendix G deals with
> XvMC. You need to read those and the wiki. Going from memory, you no
> longer need the 'Modules' section as all modules are loaded as
> needed/available (or am I thinking of the intel chipset machine????
> Argghhh...to late at night...
>
> Geoff

I've never managed to get XvMC working, and what you have noticed is no
doubt why! However, it's the resolution I'm concerned with at the
moment. my lovely 1280x720 is gone and ugly 800x600 is in it's place.
Once I've sorted that (pressure is on as daughter is having a 'cinema'
party with friends here next week!) I'll follow your advice with XvMC.

Thanks again Geoff

Damian