[mythtv-users] Having problem with Digital Out and Live TV

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Sun Mar 30 08:58:18 UTC 2008

Norm wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 19:12 -0400, mlists wrote:
>> Ok, so based on the price of the Logitech X-5500 powered speakers, I
>> went out and got them.
>>
>> WOW is all I can say.  Got them working in digital mode easily with
>> mplayer by putting the following in the config file:
>>
>> ao="alsa:device=spdif" #audio out
>> ac="hwac3"
>>
>> The problem is with watching TV - I get the following and I'm not sure
>> how to decipher the problem to fix it - has anyone seen this, and any
>> suggestions on how to fix it?
>>

> I fixed the problem -- was rather simple actually.  You can't select 5.1
> channels when using digital I guess.  I set it to stereo and it fact it
> is coming through with full surround sound now.

Mostly correct.

If you are using the SPDIF out on your sound card, and the Logitech
speakers can decode AC3/DTS, then you want to set mplayer to use
pass-through.  Telling it to use 5.1 makes it thing you are using an
analogue 5.1 speaker set, while pass-through sends the digital stream
untouched to the decoder which then deals with the multiple channels.