[mythtv-users] MythTV in native 1080i mode? (maybe with a 7050PV)

Matt Mossholder matt+MythTV-Users at mossholder.com
Sat Mar 29 12:23:00 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 00:26 -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:
> I have a 1080p plasma TV that will accept 1080p on the HDMI inputs, but
> only 1080i on the component input. If I connect a MythTV box to the
> component input, the MythTV _must_ be configured in 1080i mode.
>
> Is it even possible for MythTV to run on a system with the graphics card
> configured in the 1080i mode? I never used a computer with the graphics
> card configured in an interlaced mode, so I have no idea how that would
> work.
>
> Assuming I will use a motherboard with an embedded GeForce 7050PV chip,
> will that chip accept the 1080i mode? If not, do you know another
> GeForce chip that will work in that mode?
>
> I am planning to use a DVI-to-component adapter between the computer and
> the TV.
>
> The system will play mostly cable, satellite and OTA content, which is
> 1080i, 720p and 480i. My only source of 1080p content at this moment are
> Blu-Ray disks, which are already handled by a PS3 - so the MythTV box
> will never have to play 1080p for the foreseeable future.

Florin,
	It can be done. I've never done it over a DVI to component adapter, but
I have used a VGA to component adapter successfully in the past. Be
aware, however, that you may get better results using the 1080p
connection and some sort of display switch, rather than component.

	This will allow you to deinterlace all the interlaced content, as well
as preventing the annoying flicker that can be present in many of the
themes when running on an interlaced display.

		--Matt