[mythtv-users] Gray OSD fonts

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Mar 28 18:40:59 UTC 2008

On 03/28/2008 02:14 PM, James Orr wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 1:36 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> But, that means it's installed right.  So you're probably being bitten
>> by a known (but unidentified) issue (that's either an issue with your
>> configuration, your system libraries, your video drivers, or the font
>> itself--we still haven't identified it, but it doesn't seem to be a bug
>> in Myth).
>>
>> See http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/295279#295279 and
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/294597#294597 (the
>> link referenced within the previous link).
>>
>> If you give me a link to a picture of the screen, I can tell you for
>> sure whether that's the problem.  Or, you can follow the instructions in
>> the above posts and, if it fixes the symptom (ugly OSD fonts), it was
>> the problem.
> One point is that I'm just using 4:3 SD, not 16:9 HD as mentioned in those
> posts.

Yeah.  The aspect ratio really isn't what's important.

> I did comment out the fonts from osd.xml, and of course it works fine with
> the default fonts.
>
> I then went to try your experiment of copying the font files to ~/.mythtv
> and changing the OSD font, however the fonts I copied do not show in the
> list, only FreeSans.ttf, FreeSansBold.ttf and FreeMono.ttf.

I'd have to look at the code again to see how it's all being handled.  I
think I needed someone with an affected system to test that or something
to get some info for me so we might be able to fix it.  I'll try to look
at it this weekend after I return home and see if I can figure out what
I needed.  Thanks for the feedback, though.

> I did get screenshots of what it looks like (with the unmodified osd.xml of
> course) ...
>
> http://www.orrwhat.net/screen1.png
> http://www.orrwhat.net/screen2.png

Yep.  Same problem.