[mythtv-users] minimum specs for PCHDTV-5500?

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Thu Mar 27 16:45:29 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 11:24 -0400, Mary Strimel wrote:

> My problem is indeed the blocks random of colors in the middle of the
> screen that cover the picture, plus pausing and hesitating.  It does
> not happen when playing the signal through my cable box, so I assumed
> it's not a signal problem, BUT ... my cable provider did tell me at
> one point that my signal was "less than perfect" so ... is it possible
> that the HDTV-5500 requires a better signal than what the cable box
> does?

This sounds like a reception problem. It's quite possible that the cable
box has stronger reception than the HD-5500. It could also be a faulty
cable or splitter.

The Elephants Dream video is not a good test of HD performance.
It is probably only 1080 at 24 frames per second vs. 1080 at 60 fields
per second, and it is also an computer animation which inherently
compresses better than something like sports or nature programming.
But if you had a performance problem you would most likely be
seeing prebuffering pauses, not blockiness or other picture
artifacts.

-- Daniel