[mythtv-users] minimum specs for PCHDTV-5500?

Mary Strimel mary.strimel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 15:24:59 UTC 2008

On 3/26/08, Jesse Burt <genecide at comcast.net> wrote:

> Mary Strimel wrote:
>
> > And when I play my HD test file, the CPU Mhz goes up to 2000.000.  So I
> > guess that means my machine is capable of 2 Ghz.
> >
> > So, this machine "should" be able to display 720p using xvmc and bob
> > de-interlacing, if I am reading the chart on the wiki correctly (thank
> you
> > to the person who pointed me to that)!
> >
> > But, I am stll confused as to why it  won't play the output from the
> HDTV
> > card.  It looks like my HD test file, which as I mentioned plays
> > beautifully, is 1080 (again, assuming I'm interpreting this
> right).  Here is
> > the relevant-looking part of what mplayer says when I play it:
> >
> > Playing Elephants_Dream_HD.avi.
>

> *snip*
>

> > So why does mplayer do great with this, but Myth croaks on the QAM feed?
> >
> > Thanks again, in advance,
> > Mary
>

> Mary,
>
> Does the HDTV playback just look slow/not smooth or does the playback
> look corrupted, made up of lots of little squares of random colors? I'm
> not certain by your description of the problem in your original post,
> but it sounds to me more like you are having signal problems. If it's
> not the signal, I've also found sometimes Myth seems to incorrectly
> guess at whether the video is interlaced or progressive (either that or
> the format actually does change like crazy), and can result in a similar
> appearing picture, although a little more rhythmic. Setting the Video
> Scan to either Interlaced or Progressive, as opposed to Automatic,
> usually fixes this for me.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Jesse Burt

Jesse,
My problem is indeed the blocks random of colors in the middle of the screen
that cover the picture, plus pausing and hesitating.  It does not happen
when playing the signal through my cable box, so I assumed it's not a signal
problem, BUT ... my cable provider did tell me at one point that my signal
was "less than perfect" so ... is it possible that the HDTV-5500 requires a
better signal than what the cable box does?

Anyway, I will try to tweak the other settings, and see if that helps.

Let me take this opportunity to say **thanks*** to everyone on this board
for your willingness to share your knowledge ... I must have solved dozens
of issues by searching the mailing list archives (even if many messages are
about hardware and technically "off topic" viz. mythtv itself,  they are
still incredibly helpful) and y'all are great.

Mary