[mythtv-users] MCE Remote IR Placement

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Mar 25 13:41:30 UTC 2008

> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 10:57 PM, Michael Nguyen <michaeln at twentyten.org>
> wrote:
>> So, this MythTV box is finally done but I wanted your suggestions on
>>  where I should place the IR sensors.  The remote I have is the one that
>>  came with the PVR-500.  It looks kind of like this:
>>
>>  http://www.elara.ie/largeimage/E7C447CB-5099-46AD-B712-C6258F09FD9A.jpg
>>
>>  The package consists of one large IR receiver with a USB interface and
>>  two smaller IR sensors that plug into the larger receiver via
>>  mini-jack.  All three pieces come with sticky pads so I can affix them
>>  anywhere.  Do you guys have a suggestion on a configuration that works
>>  best?  I find that it's natural for people to point the remote towards
>>  the actual box so would it make sense to affix one of these sensors
>>  inside the Antec Fusion 430 case?
>>

> Those aren't sensors - they're blasters.

A word of warning on those MCE blasters...

Don't trust the glue on those blasters. It is weak and the blaster
will fall off. This is compounded by the fact that the blaster itself
is weak. On my DTV box, I have a bit of tape on the top edge of the
case in front and the blaster kind of dangles in front of the IR
receiver on the STB.

If the blaster "head" pops off your STB and is lying there in front
of it, it won't generate enough signal to even send to a few inches
away.