[mythtv-users] LiveTV Channel Browsing Speed (New angle !)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Mar 25 02:26:39 UTC 2008

On 03/24/2008 10:18 AM, bungle wrote:
> Brad DerManouelian-2 wrote:
>
>> The reason mythtv doesn't allow watching LiveTV without buffering is
>> because plenty of other things already do that so why reinvent the
>> wheel?
> I'm sure that before MythDVD was around no one said "There are plenty of
> other apps that can play DVDs, so why reinvent the wheel?"  I think you are
> missing my point.  Your comment about "waiting for a patch" is perfectly
> valid.  That seems to be the answer to most feature requests that no devs
> are interested in.

Yep.

> For this question the answer seems to be more along the
> lines of "we don't think that's how you should use MythTV", which is totally
> different.

Nope.  Write a patch.  Post that patch.  Fix /every single/ issue that
the devs give you when they reject the patch because of all the
shortcomings of the patch you write (this is not a commentary on your
coding skills, but is simply suggesting that you have not yet considered
all the supported MythTV configurations and your approach will /not/
work on most of them).  If you get the last part done--you actually fix
the shortcomings--it will be incorporated.  However, you're far more
likely to start writing code and realize, "You know what.  This just
won't work."

>   Maybe it's just because everyone is sick of it getting asked,
> but is that the stance people should take?  I'm not asking because this is a
> super-important feature for me, just because I don't understand the *kind*
> of rejection it is getting.

Write a patch and listen to the feedback you're given.  It's the best
way to understand the stance.  At that point, you may even start sending
short responses that don't explain why it won't work because it just
isn't worth your time to type up all the details you learned when you
were trying to make the patch work.

Mike