[mythtv-users] Database setup

Michael Nguyen michaeln at twentyten.org
Sun Mar 23 02:24:44 UTC 2008

Harry Devine wrote:

[snip]
>  what you're saying, and it makes perfect sense, but I can't login
> to mysql at all, no matter what user I try.  All 4 of these commands
> give me the "Access denied...." error.
>
>     mysql -umythtv -p<mythtv_pwd> -hlocalhost
>     mysql -umythtv -p<mythtv_pwd> -h192.168.1.200
>     mysql -uroot -p<root_pwd> -hlocalhost
>     mysql -uroot -p<root_pwd> -h192.168.1.200
>
> So as it stands, I can't do ANYTHING with mysql right now.  Any
> suggestions on what I should do from here?
>
> Thanks alot for the help, time, and patience (I'm still fairly new to
> mysql; can't ya tell?    ;-)   )
> Harry

Oh I see...I misunderstood.  I thought you at least had access to your
MySQL server.  Didn't you say that you were able to log in as root
earlier???  Sorry for the misguided thread...

So anyway, you need to get access to MySQL.  What I'd do is just
recreate those MySQL user databases:

rm -rf /var/lib/mysql/mysql
mysql_install_db

Once you do this, confirm that /var/lib/myql/mysql exists and just
restart the MySQL server.  You should have default MySQL users now.
Once you do that, just follow the initialization procedure for
mythconverg.  Also, don't forget your password again.

Michael