[mythtv-users] Database setup

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 23 02:40:57 UTC 2008

Michael Nguyen wrote:
> Harry Devine wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>  what you're saying, and it makes perfect sense, but I can't login
>> to mysql at all, no matter what user I try.  All 4 of these commands
>> give me the "Access denied...." error.
>>
>>     mysql -umythtv -p<mythtv_pwd> -hlocalhost
>>     mysql -umythtv -p<mythtv_pwd> -h192.168.1.200
>>     mysql -uroot -p<root_pwd> -hlocalhost
>>     mysql -uroot -p<root_pwd> -h192.168.1.200
>>
>> So as it stands, I can't do ANYTHING with mysql right now.  Any
>> suggestions on what I should do from here?
>>
>> Thanks alot for the help, time, and patience (I'm still fairly new to
>> mysql; can't ya tell?    ;-)   )
>> Harry
>>

> Oh I see...I misunderstood.  I thought you at least had access to your
> MySQL server.  Didn't you say that you were able to log in as root
> earlier???  Sorry for the misguided thread...
>
> So anyway, you need to get access to MySQL.  What I'd do is just
> recreate those MySQL user databases:
>
> rm -rf /var/lib/mysql/mysql
> mysql_install_db
>
> Once you do this, confirm that /var/lib/myql/mysql exists and just
> restart the MySQL server.  You should have default MySQL users now.
> Once you do that, just follow the initialization procedure for
> mythconverg.  Also, don't forget your password again.
>

> Michael

OK, I just did the 2 commands above and verified that
/var/lib/mysql/mysql exits.  Before I take the next step (and hose
something up AGAIN), I want to be sure I have the correct initialization
procedure for mythconverg.  I was going to use the one found here:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User_Manual:Initial_Installation.
Is this right?  Are there any portions of that that I don't need to do?
Lastly, once this is back to normal, I can put the user back to mythtv
in the first setup screen, correct?

Thanks again for everything!  Very much appreciated!
Harry