[mythtv-users] XvMC profile group playing MPEG4 videos?

Johnny Russ jruss at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 19 15:53:06 UTC 2008

I have an old PIII 1GHz box that I use to playback SD shows and also my
kids' videos. In 0.20 I used XvMC to playback my MPEG-2 shows and the
default settings (whatever they were) on the internal player worked fine
with my MPEG-4 videos. Since updating to 0.21 I haven't been able to get
my playback profile setup such that I can playback my MPEG-2 shows and
my MPEG-4 videos satisfactorily. With my hardware I can play the videos
with ffmpeg, but using this for my TV shows starts to get a little jumpy
if anything is going on (e.g. commercial flagging). However, if I use
XvMC my TV shows are great with minimal CPU usage, but my MPEG-4 videos
have issues (hanging, audio sync, choppy). I thought that XvMC would
only be used for MPEG-2 streams
(http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Playback_profiles)? I set up my
playback profile such that XvMC would be used first, then ffmpeg would
be used second. I thought this would cause my MPEG-2 shows to use XvMC
and then everything else would use ffmpeg. However, with this setup my
videos have issues. If I remove the XvMC or change the order of the
profile groups then the videos are fine. It seems to me like my MPEG-4
videos are using the XvMC profile group instead of falling through to
the ffmpeg profile group. Am I mistaken about XvMC will only play MPEG-2
content? Since the content all has similar resolutions, I can't make
distinctions based on that criteria. Any ideas what is going on? Is
there a way to use XvMC for only my TV shows and not for my videos?

-Johnny