[mythtv-users] Playback Profiles? WTF?!

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Mar 17 20:41:42 UTC 2008

Mitch Gore wrote:
>>  So how about a nice OSD that shows some parameters of the current
>>  recording? I can think of the resolution, audio channels, average
>>  bitrate, maybe even more.
>>
>>  Regards,
>>  Tino
>
> Why would we do that?  You only need to see that one time, when
> configuring your FE.  other than that it would clutter the OSD
> creating more garbage to sift through.

In the UK, transmissions may be sent with a variety of parameters: 4:3, 16:9,
14:9, 2-channel audio, 5-channel audio, captions/subtitles of various sorts,
doubtless other things I can't think of off the top of my head. This is a *per
recording* function we are considering, not per-channel or per-tuner.

Incidentally, the above information may change during the course of a broadcast.
It has been noted here that commercials may have different parameters to the
main program, and changes are possible even during the course of a single
program, perhaps where chunks of film have been edited together. So the ability
to call for this info at any point may be useful - to assist editing/archiving,
if nothing else.

Mike Perkins