[mythtv-users] Problems since upgrade to 0.21with high CPU load on internal player

Gordon McCrae gordon-mccrae at bluebottle.com
Sat Mar 15 17:13:28 UTC 2008

I've heard from the packager who rolled the RPMs for Packman, and he's
confirmed that due to some compile issues, MMX was disabled, also that
Packman does not hold "previous" versions of RPMS, so I'm stuck from
that angle.

Anyone know if the lack of MMX is enough to cause such an increase in
CPU usage? I've already stripped the play filters down to their minimum,
unfortunately the  fanless frontend box I use  (Wyse V50 thin client)
doesn't have great video facilities, not even XV, so there's not much I
can do to speed it up.

Anyone with tips, or links to HOWTO on compiling 0.20.2 on SuSE 10.3
please post them, as I'm struggling with getting a working build
environment. Or equally anyone smart enough to have downloaded and kept
a copy of the 0.20.2 RPMs?

I'm not too popular in my house right now, as my three kids all use
Wyse-V50 thin clients (Via C3 1GHz, 256Mb RAM) as their media players,
and most Freeview channels / recorded videos won't play properly now
since I foolishly upgraded without testing sufficiently.

Short term fix is running VLC as the player for stored videos, but it
still means that watching TV is out.

On the server side, everything is working fine and the programmes are
still recording, it's just the ability to run the Wyse frontend boxes
that's bust.

Cheers
Gordon

Christopher Brüning wrote:
> I'm experiencing a similar problem on only some channels, but it is xorg
> which takes 70 percent cpu usage :(
>
> I have no channel dropping audio or someting
>
> Mythbuntu Gutsy
> Myth 0.21 from (hardy)
> Nvidia GeforceFX 5200 from Restricted Driver

<snip>