[mythtv-users] mysqldump problem - "Got error: 1045: Access denied..."

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 12 22:43:28 UTC 2008

On 03/12/2008 06:27 PM, Josh White wrote:
> I'm working to update my system to .21, and from what I gather, the first
> step probably should be to backup the database of my current .20.2 setup.
> Unfortunately, I seem to have a problem with gaining the rights to do this.
> It seems my user or my password is wrong.  I've researched my way to "
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Backup_your_database" and following the
> instructions there (quoted below):
>

> $ mysqldump -u<myth_user> -p --extended-insert --databases
> <myth_db_name> > mythdatabase.bak
> Password: <myth_password>
>
> So reading that, I assume <myth_user> should be replaced with the
> "user" from the database configuration 1/2 screen, which is by default
> "mythtv"
> and <myth_password> should be replaced with my password from the
> Database Configuration screen.
> I also presume the <myth_db_name> should be whatever it's called in
> the Database configuration screen (mythconverg, by default)
>
> I've tried all these settings (several times) and I get:
>
> "Got error: 1045: Access denied for user 'mythtv'@localhost'
> --databases mythconverg > mythconverg.bak"
>
> All of my frontends connect to my backend and work fine, so I'm sure
> the user and passwords from the configuration screen work to grant
> some level of access to the database...
>
> What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?
>
> I'm running 20.2 on Ubuntu 7.10 (all standard repo packages).
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance!

You may need a -h<hostname> or -h127.0.0.1 , depending on how you've
configured your privs.  The same DBHostName used in the MythTV setup
screens should work.

Also, I'm not going to mention that Myth 0.21 will attempt to backup
your DB before upgrading it just in case it fails to get a backup.  You
really /should/ do one manually yourself--as you're attempting to
do--just in case.

Mike