[mythtv-users] OT: colorblindness

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Mar 12 16:13:33 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 09:56:08AM -0400, Marc Sherman wrote:
> Yeah, I don't do much UI work any more, but when I do, I always try to
> make things as garish as possible to ensure that product management
> gives the colour selection a sober second thought before we release. :)

So, does that actually work out for you?  :-)

> There was a period about ten years ago when I was working on
> colour-correction software. I always had trouble really understanding
> the use cases -- it was just a mathematical exercise for me.

Hee.

> > And, is it just me, or do blocks of primary red and primary green
> > (#ff0000, #00ff00) placed side-by-side, "Glow" at the join? It's like
> > a kind of ringing effect, or halo, on both sides of the join, and it
> > hurts.
>
> I see that with red and blue, especially on monitors. It produces a kind
> of 3d effect for me, where it seems like one of the colours is slightly
> behind the other.

That part it probably chromatic abberation.  I have high-index lenses
in my glasses; the first time I got a set that way -- about 8 years ago
-- white lights fringed *horribly* on each side: yellow towards the
edge of the lens, blue towards the center.

My brain adapted to it, and I don't notice it much anymore unless I'm
looking hard for it, but it took a couple of weeks...

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Joseph Stalin)