[mythtv-users] Monitor/tv calibration?

Richard Woelk richardwoelk at yahoo.ca
Wed Mar 12 00:40:45 UTC 2008

Marc Sherman wrote:
> Florin Andrei wrote:
>
>> The original Avia is older than dirt. DVE is probably better.
>>
>> Personally, I prefer Avia II over DVE, but maybe that's just me.
>>

> Well, I can get Avia II for $40 with free shipping on amazon.ca, so I'll
> probably just spring for it. Buying the replacement filters would
> probably cost close to that much when you include the shipping,
> exchange, and border fees.
>

>> Honestly, I only calibrated my TV with the PS3 as a DVD player. That was
>> all, and I just apply the same parameters to all the other inputs on the
>> TV (cable, SD card reader). Not very scientific, but it seems to work
>> pretty well.
>>
>> I do not have a Myth frontend connected to this TV (it's on a computer
>> in a different room), so I never had to think about calibrating the
>> frontend per se. But it looks like one day I may have to do that.
>>

> Hrm. That's too bad. Does anyone else following this thread have any
> experience here? For me, the biggest problem currently is the
> calibration on the pvr500 -- I had to tweak the recording settings a lot
> on that to get the recordings looking decent, and they still could be
> better.
>
> The feedback delay on making adjustments and waiting for them to show up
> in the recorded stream while watching the DVD in "Live TV" mode seems
> like it would be a problem.
>
> - Marc
I have all my devices hooked into separate inputs on my tv so I can set
contrast/brightness/color individually.
I calibrated my tv component & HDMI 2 using the DVE disc in my xbox 360,
and then the HDMI3 (MythTV) input using mythdvd
I then connected my xbox 360 to the pvr-250 input via s-video and
calibrated the recording settings for the PVR-250 (using the G key and
liveTV mode)
I then copied the values to all the channels with a MYSQL command. I
noticed the default contrast & brightness settings clipped the black &
white quite a bit.

I found a filter for virtualdub called color tools that shows the video
waveform, like a scope. That let me set brightness & contrast. This
filter also had a vectorscope that let me set color and tint, but I
could never get it to match quite right.

- Richard