[mythtv-users] Monitor/tv calibration?

Marc Sherman msherman at projectile.ca
Tue Mar 11 22:17:48 UTC 2008

Florin Andrei wrote:
> The original Avia is older than dirt. DVE is probably better.
>
> Personally, I prefer Avia II over DVE, but maybe that's just me.

Well, I can get Avia II for $40 with free shipping on amazon.ca, so I'll
probably just spring for it. Buying the replacement filters would
probably cost close to that much when you include the shipping,
exchange, and border fees.

> Honestly, I only calibrated my TV with the PS3 as a DVD player. That was
> all, and I just apply the same parameters to all the other inputs on the
> TV (cable, SD card reader). Not very scientific, but it seems to work
> pretty well.
>
> I do not have a Myth frontend connected to this TV (it's on a computer
> in a different room), so I never had to think about calibrating the
> frontend per se. But it looks like one day I may have to do that.

Hrm. That's too bad. Does anyone else following this thread have any
experience here? For me, the biggest problem currently is the
calibration on the pvr500 -- I had to tweak the recording settings a lot
on that to get the recordings looking decent, and they still could be
better.

The feedback delay on making adjustments and waiting for them to show up
in the recorded stream while watching the DVD in "Live TV" mode seems
like it would be a problem.

- Marc