[mythtv-users] OT B'cast nostalgia, was: Hauppauge in ...

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Mon Mar 10 23:15:05 UTC 2008

On 9 Mar 2008, at 20:38, Meatwad wrote:
> Seeing as the thread is now aptly named...

Oh! Me, too!! I've got one...

When I was a kid I remember seeing a brochure for a new kind of video
recorder which, as well as fitting movies on smaller tapes, could
record - and playback, of course - digital audio.

Audio was recorded on these tapes as 8 tracks, so that one could fit
8 hours of audio on one 60-minute video tape. The brochure advertised
a couple of models and promoted the format as offering "next-gen"
type audio - it must at the time have been competing with the CD, or
perhaps with the incipient mass-market success of the CD - and the
track-skip feature was touted (some time, I think, before this became
common on analogue cassettes).

I have this idea that this brochure simply advertised a couple of
early DAT players - manufactured by Sony, perhaps? - and that DAT
never took off for video usage but came into its own because these
recorders were "cheap" for 8-track digital audio recording. But my
Google-fu is unable to corroborate this notion. The brochure, I
think, mentioned a couple of pre-recorded movies being available in
this format - I'm sure that Gene Wilder's "The Woman in Red" <http://
www.imdb.com/title/tt0088414/> was one of them, and if I'm right
about the DAT part then I guess one of these tapes would be quite the
curiosity now.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what this format was, or am I
completely misremembering something I read 20+ years ago?

Stroller.