[mythtv-users] OT - Mac Advocacy, was; Which SVN?

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 20:11:43 UTC 2008

  As I see it (ignoring all but MacOS, GNU/Linux, and Windows):

>  - Intel hardware can run GNU/Linux or Windows
>  - PowerPC hardware can run GNU/Linux
>  - PowerPC hardware--blessed by Steve Jobs, and sold for a lot of
> money--can run MacOS or GNU/Linux
>  - Intel hardware--blessed by Steve Jobs, and sold for a lot of
> money--can run MacOS, GNU/Linux, or Windows
>
> So, you really feel it's worthwhile to pay for the /option/ of running
> MacOS even though you may choose to install GNU/Linux or Windows on that
> machine instead?
>
> Mike

For those attempting to switch it may be.  The intel switch makes it less of
a gamble.

Before, in the PPC days, you were pretty much stuck with the OS X or a
generally less stable, more obscure Linux experience (at least from what I
know), and a dismal attempt at virtualizing windows.  Now you can try OS X
and if you ultimately determine that you're happy with it, you have a better
option for correcting that misjudgment.   Years ago, if you bought a $3,000
Power Mac G5, then realized you should have bought a $2,500 Xeon powered
Dell workstation for whatever hypothetical software issue; rather than being
out $5,500 to correct the mistake, you simply have to buy a copy of
Windows.  If that were a Xeon Mac Pro, you could make the change for a mere
$600 ($100 to buy a new copy of windows, and $500 to account for what you
overpaid for your initial hardware purchase).  (this of course ignores the
variable of selling the Mac hardware for who knows what price)

So now, Mr. Jobs can get people to try it his way with less risk.  If they
really don't like it, they can switch back to their comfy Windows for much
less.