[mythtv-users] iMac as possible Frontend?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Mar 10 02:20:44 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 06:55:19PM -0700, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Mar 9, 2008, at 6:46 PM, jedi wrote:
>
> >    You can get LCD displays pretty cheaply though and you can always
> > recyle on from another system. It doesn't have to be purchased with
> > the
> > mini.
>
> Really? You're allowed to do that? I'm not an idiot. What I'm saying
> is that for the price of a 17" G5 iMac, you can't get a mini and a 17"
> LCD.

    Actually, there's someone on this list that managed just such a feat.
He did that with a modern mini. Allow the exercise to include the same
generation mini as the imac in question and it would probably be even
easier.

> >> you get the convenience of great form factor that will fit on a
> >> bookshelf if you wanted. Plus, it looks really pretty.
> >
> >    So does a mini and an external monitor.
> >
> >    There's another PC variant of this same idea that's setup
> > to be just plain bolted onto the back of a monitor.
>
> Right. And not for the price of a 17" iMac. I'm not saying an iMac is
> the best solution. I'm saying it's a good all in one solution for
> under $500 which is what the OP asked.

    Given how the current generation iMacs are, I wouldn't assume
anything. It seems like each different model has a different graphics
chipset and from varying manufacturers too.