[mythtv-users] Just got my two $40 DTV coupons

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Fri Mar 7 18:05:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 12:43 PM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
>  I think, since they gave a huge gift to the TV manufacturers by
>  mandating that everyone comply with a mandatory cut-over date, that
>  they figured they had to slip some kind of kickback to consumers to
>  keep us happy.

The thing was, there really was no intentional gift to them. There was
zero need to buy a new tv for this. Yet there was this tremendous
public misconception about the whole thing, in spite of the fact that
all the articles I read and news reports I watching NEVER said you
needed to buy a new TV. Most of the time they were quite explicit
about the fact that it doesn't affect you if you use cable or
satellite, and they were also quite clear about the coupons. The only
place I ever heard the incorrect info was through word of mouth.

If someone gave a gift to the TV manufacturers, I suspect it was the
retailers who did so (while giving themselves a gift in the process).
I believe they happily let their employees misinform customers.
Whether they asked their sales staff to lie or fed them the false
information, I can't say, but at the very least they made no effort to
correct them from spreading misinformation.

--
Ron