[mythtv-users] It's over, the RIAA is toast

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Mar 5 16:34:01 UTC 2008

On Mar 5, 2008, at 3:57 AM, Joe Borne wrote:

> The article says it all. You're all intelligent people, I'll let you
> discern for yourself why this is the death knell of the RIAA.
>
> "It looks like Trent Reznor's new Nine Inch Nails album experiment
> is a success. Among the various options he gave fans, the most
> expensive was the $300 Limited Edition Ultra Deluxe Package. It took
> just over a day for that package to completely sell out, earning
> Reznor $750,000 in revenue from just that option alone."
>
> http://slashdot.org/articles/08/03/05/076221.shtml

Yes, once you have had a successful record deal you can do stuff like
that. Look at Radiohead's last record. "Pay whatever you want" model
earned them loads of cash. I can put a record out tomorrow that is
"download and pay whatever you want" and I'll get a total of about $50
for my efforts. Even bands that aren't as popular can create listener-
supported records (Einstürzende Neubauten did it a few years back
where listeners paid a "subscription" fee for something like $25 and
got to see live feeds of them in the studio making the record, your
username printed on a poster that came with the CD and the CD mailed
to you when it was done) but you need a major or relatively large
label contract before you can do any of this stuff because most
musicians simply can't afford to create and promote their music until
they're already successful. $10k will get you a quality-sounding
record, packaging plus promotion enough to get you a tiny bit of press
and some online reviews. If you want any more than "some exposure",
you're talking about $50k out of your pocket. That's what labels are
for and that's the investment the RIAA is trying to protect for those
labels. For every NIN or Radiohead success there are hundreds of $50k
failures.

I whole-heartedly disagree with the RIAA tactics in trying to sue the
listeners, but I also whole-heartedly agree the RIAA needs to exist. I
want to know their lawyers are available in case someone tries to pass
off one of my songs as their own or covers one of my songs and forgets
to pay me. I know I don't have the money to fight that in court.

-Brad