[mythtv-users] User job advice

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 4 00:30:33 UTC 2008

I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance on a User Job
idea.  I have a pcHD5500 card and the analog portion of that card is
connected to my MB's sound card's Line In.  However, the audio is always
on irregardless on what I have going on that box (i.e I'm not watching
live TV, etc.).  So, I have my Line In muted currently via alsamixer.

I know that I can mute/unmute it via command line (i.e "amixer set Line
mute", etc.).  So since I know when I schedule a recording via Mythweb
that the channel being recorded is an analog channel or not, I could
write a script to run before the recording starts to unmute it, let the
tuner change the channel and record, then run the script again to
re-mute it.

Would a user job be appropriate for this?  Is there a better way?  Would
I need 1 script unmute the input (i.e one that runs BEFORE recording)
and another script that runs AFTER recording to re-mute it?

Thanks for any ideas,
Harry