[mythtv-users] New Frontend, Any gotchas with Compact Flash storage

Mike Smith mike at smithburnett.net
Sun Mar 2 14:48:43 UTC 2008

> Is there anything I should know about CF cards?  Are there any type
> that I should get which is quicker than the other.  Will a CF card be
> much quicker or the same as an IDE HDD for boot up?

To add some anecdotal evidence, my heavily-used CF-based frontend has been
performing very well. It is completely silent (zero moving parts) and I find
bootup times and general performance comparable to a hard drive-based
frontend. I didn't do anything special to the file system (it's ext3, and
has a small swap partition) and thus far have had no trouble. Setting it up
like this may well not be the best idea, as others have said.

Having read some other posts on this list recently, if I were to do it again
I would be tempted to give it a try with no local storage at all, and boot
over the network.

Mike.