[mythtv-users] why you use myth...like myth, or hate Microsoft

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Sat Mar 1 20:37:22 UTC 2008

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:
> This is somewhat of a poll question. I'm just curious to see what
> peoples' answers are.
>
> I have seen so much hatred among linux users against microsoft (and
> rarely against Apple, who to me seems worse). Some of the complaints I
> understand and sometimes agree with, but sometimes it seems that linux
> people have real hatred towards Microsoft...like really really bad hatred.
>
> So i'm wondering...why did you start to use myth...
>
> 1. was it because you heard about myth, so you learned to use linux so
> you could run myth,
> 2. was it because you like linux so you then went and used myth,
> 3. or was it because you don't like microsoft, so that's why you're in
> linux, and hence, why you chose myth?

2.

I am a fan of using the right tool for the job. I am a fan of picking
which operating system I use based on the applications/services that I
want to run. I do not get religious about my tools, and I do not waste
energy on hate.

I have been using Linux for over 10 years. At the time I started using
MythTV, I had a Linux server in my house providing various services
(e.g. SMTP sever with filtering, IMAP server, web server and proxy,
RADIUS server).

At the time I started using MythTV, I chose it because it met my
requirements: (1) I could connect multiple frontends to one backend over
an IP network, (2) I could create network booting, diskless frontend,
(3) I could RAID the storage (our TiVo crashed and lost my one year of
unwatched shows belonging to my wife), and (4) I could use it play music
and videos. While more polished than MythTV, MCE did not meet these
requirements.

In general, I prefer Open Source because it allows me to modify software
to my liking and fix bugs that are in my way. However, I use closed
source software when the Open Source alternatives do not meet my
requirements.