[mythtv-users] Display ip of of the frontend?

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 1 03:27:36 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 02/29/2008 12:05 PM, Chad wrote:
>
>> Although I agree that the best way to do this would probably be via
>> the dyndns option, if you aren't up for that you could setup an MTA
>> and email you the IP instead.
>>

> I find it quite funny that someone might think it's easier to set up
> (and properly secure) an MTA than to install ddclient or click a
> checkbox in a router's configuration web app.  ;)
>
> Mike

I hope nobody minds that I jump in here, but my Linksys cable/dsl router
has a DDNS option.  It says I need to sign up at either tzo.com or
dyndns.org and, from what I've read, can access my home network thru it,
even when my Comcast DHCP address changes.  Has anyone used either of
these services?  Pros or cons?  Any other security items that I should
consider if I wanted to go this route?  I was thinking that I could
setup a port forward to my Mythbox for SSH (like if I SSH to the dynamic
domain name on port 2222, forward it to my internal Mythbox's IP on SSH
port 22).

Thanks for any ideas.
Harry