[mythtv-users] mythvideos file problem on 0.21

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Sun Jun 29 00:11:30 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-28 at 10:50 -0400, James Pifer wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-06-28 at 09:57 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> > > Also a correction. The setting causing me the problem is "Video List
> > > browses files". Makes me think it's a permissions issue,
> >
> > Yep.  Most likely.
> >
> > >  but the files
> > > are there and readable over NFS.
> >
> > By the user running mythfrontend?
> >

> Yes. My frontend machine (using mythdora 5) auto logs in as mythtv. It
> mounts /mythtv to my backend's /mythtv using sudo. Then myth FE runs.
>
> As the mythtv user I can completely browse /mythtv and see all the
> videos. I can even browse to an avi file and play it with vlc. I also
> chown all the files to be owned mythtv.
>
> That being said, the UID for mythtv on my backend is 501. On my frontend
> it's 500. I've tried changing mythtv user on my FE to 501 using usermod
> and groupmod, and using find to change existing files, but that
> completely hosed up gnome.

I removed and recreated my mythtv user with UID 501, which matches my
mythtv user on the backend server.

Logged in as the mythtv user on the FE machine, I can not only read the
files on the NFS mount, but I can rename them, delete, create, etc. So
as much as it looks like permissions, I don't think it is.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
James