[mythtv-users] MythTV, phpMyAdmin and German umlauts

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jun 27 18:26:46 UTC 2008

On 06/27/2008 02:04 PM, Torsten Crass wrote:
>> The entire mechanism used for character encoding in MythTV is changing 
>> significantly between 0.21 and 0.22, so the development version of Myth 
>    [...]
>> If nothing else, 0.22 should fix a bunch of the issues (and those that 
>> remain are far more likely to be reported).
> thanks for the detailed background info on this issue. I'm not going to 
> use phpMyAdmin on mythconverg until 0.22. Promised. ;-)
> Fortunately, I am quite confident that I didn't severely corrupt my 
> database since I didn't change any MySQL server-based character set 
> parameters.

Just make sure all the columns are still latin1 so that any new data 
that's inserted isn't corrupted.  The less corrupt data you have, the 
less likely the DB upgrade will fail.  (Those who have been running with 
a broken schema--i.e. who converted column character sets and have been 
running that way--for some time are very likely to have databases that 
can't be upgraded to 0.22.

>  It's just a dozen or so entries in the recorded table that 
> will now have some funny title/subtitle/description entries due to my 
> phpMyAdmin attempts, and that should be rather easy to fix using either 
> the frontend

Or, if you wait until 0.22 is released, you'll be able to edit it with 
phpMyAdmin or the mysql client.  :)

>  or the mysql shell.

Actually, the mysql shell will have the same issues as phpMyAdmin and 
for the same reason--it thinks the characters are latin1, but they're 
really UTF-8 in a latin1 column.  You can make it work, but you have to 
do some extra work (meaning it's not really worth it).


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list