[mythtv-users] netflix streaming on myth like xbox360?

Dan Littlejohn dan.littlejohn at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 17:45:57 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 12:20 PM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Brad DerManouelian <
> myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jun 25, 2008, at 9:36 AM, Chad wrote:

>> http://lifehacker.com/396881/turn-your-xbox-360-into-a-streaming-netflix-player

>> > I don't really see it possible until Netflix decides to open up their
>> > browser restrictions.
>>
>> You can always fake which browser is making the requests. Opera even
>> has a built-in option to pretend it's IE when making requests. The DRM
>> is the problem.
>>
>> >  I can't watch streaming netflix on anything
>> > other than Internet Explorer.  Except for my Roku Netflix Box of
>> > course ;)
>> >
>> > If you did have a Roku box you could probably slap together an HD-PVR
>> > + Roku + MythTV setup where you could them stream into a "recording"
>> > that could then be watched on multiple MythTV systems throughout your
>> > network.
>>
>> Now that sounds interesting! $99 for the Roku box + $249 for an
>> additional HD-PVR = movie watching joy whenever I want.
>

> The Watch Now service is on demand.  The Roku will stream you the movie
> whenever you want.  There isn't much reason to record it to Myth when it is
> always available.  For that $250, you could buy 2 more Roku's if you somehow
> needed to have multiple clients such that recording to Myth would even make
> sense.
>
> Kevin

I don't want to record the movies, just want the instant gratification of
being able to watch them on demand.  I already have Satellite and a Myth
box.  Was wondering if there was a way to avoid having to buy another box
(roku) and take advantage of all the other things myth does well like
distributing content throughout the house.  I am paying for the Netflix
Streaming Service, to bad there is not a way for me to use it.  Maybe
someone will figure the DRM out and a myth plugin will be made.

Dan