[mythtv-users] Jetway JNC62K

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 02:34:22 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 7:06 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Monday 23 June 2008 19:20:55 David Brodbeck wrote:
>> My rule of thumb has always been that if you absolutely, positively need
>> to be sure it will work and be stable, buy a genuine Intel motherboard.
>> It will cost you extra, but my experience with VIA boards has taught me
>> everything else is a crap shoot.  I guess this is the modern version of
>> "no one ever got fired for buying IBM." ;)
>
> Hard to do when you want to use a non-Intel CPU, or want certain features
> (Intel boards have limited O/C for example).

Quite true. One reason I have Athlon 64 is for virtualization stuff -
for some reason the cheapest Intel CPUs with hardware support for
virtualization cost far more than the cheapest Athlons with that
feature.   Also, my systems run a idle most of the time, and IIRC
Athlons beat Core 2 CPUs in that contest.

> I've has good luck with Asus, at least their higher end stuff, and of course

Asus is recommended by hardwareguys.com, and it's my preferred
manufacturer when using AMD CPUs.

> I've had mixed luck with VIA: their motherboards are problematic, but the CPUs
> are OK if you want a low-power chip and understand the limitations (small
> cache, limited multimedia capability). They seem more popular in the
> teeny-tiny box category.

Yes, they're fine as diskless clients (I have a couple of SolarPCs).
But I wouldn't want other systems depending on them (i.e., as a
server).

Calvin