[mythtv-users] CX18/HVR-1600: Difficulty loading firmware with IVTV

Scott Kidder kidder.scott at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 00:25:11 UTC 2008

I installed an Hauppauge HVR-1600 card in my MythTV box to perform HD
recording in addition to the PVR-150 already installed.  I downloaded the
latest Video4Linux drivers (http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb), which included
the CX18 module used by the HVR-1600, installed firmware files for the card
in the location required by IVTV (http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Cx18), and
saw the card auto-detected by 'mythtv-setup'.

The problem occured when I rebooted the machine had mythbackend start
automatically.  Try to view a channel with the HVR-1600 would result in
'partial-lock' being displayed on the OSD.  Also, there'd be tons of
messages like the following directed to the kernel log (/var/log/messages):

cx18-0: mb CX18_CPU_SET_VIDEO_MUTE failed
cx18-0: mb CX18_CREATE_TASK failed
cx18-0: mb CX18_CPU_SET_CHANNEL_TYPE failed
cx18-0: mb CX18_CPU_DE_SET_MDL_ACK failed
cx18-0: mb CX18_CPU_DE_SET_MDL failed
cx18-0: mb CX18_CPU_DE_SET_MDL failed
cx18-0: mb CX18_CPU_DE_SET_MDL failed
cx18-0: mb CX18_CPU_CAPTURE_START failed
cx18-0: mb CX18_DESTROY_TASK failed

I also saw channel scans produce a 'No Tables' message for channels which
the card locked on.  This, too, was a symptom of the firmware not being
loaded.  I began to notice that the card would work fine if I ran
'mythtv-setup' and triggered auto-detected of the card when in the 'Capture
Cards' section.  The kernel log would also mention that the firmware files
had been loaded:

cx18:  Start initialization, version 1.0.0
cx18-0: Initializing card #0
cx18-0: Autodetected Hauppauge card
cx18-0: cx23418 revision 01010000 (B)
cx18-0: Autodetected Hauppauge HVR-1600
cx18-0: VBI is not yet supported
tuner 2-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (cx18 i2c driver #0-1)
cs5345 1-004c: chip found @ 0x98 (cx18 i2c driver #0-0)
cx18-0: Disabled encoder IDX device
cx18-0: Registered device video0 for encoder MPEG (2 MB)
DVB: registering new adapter (cx18)
cx18-0: DVB Frontend registered
cx18-0: Registered device video32 for encoder YUV (2 MB)
cx18-0: Registered device video24 for encoder PCM audio (1 MB)
cx18-0: Initialized card #0: Hauppauge HVR-1600
cx18:  End initialization
cx18-0: loaded v4l-cx23418-apu.fw firmware V00120000 (141200 bytes)
cx18-0: loaded v4l-cx23418-cpu.fw firmware (174716 bytes)
cx18-0: FW version: 0.0.71.0 (Release 2006/12/29)
cx18-0: loaded v4l-cx23418-dig.fw firmware (16382 bytes)

You'll notice that the firmware is loaded after the V4L module has finished
initialization.  I could see the firmware load when in the 'Capture Cards'
section of 'mthtv-setup'.  I never saw the firmware get loaded when starting
'mythbackend'.  I am not sure whether this problem lies in MythTV, IVTV, or
Video4Linux.  For now, I have my system up-and-running with the firmware
loaded, but will have to repeat the hack of running 'mythtv-setup' to
trigger the firmware to load following my next reboot.

FYI, I'm using MythTV 0.21-190 on Fedora Core 8 (Linux 2.6.25 kernel), IVTV
1.2.0 (built from source) and Video4Linux drivers built from source from the
repo as of Saturday, June 21, 2008.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Any ideas for a more permanent solution
to getting the firmware to load without running 'mythtv-setup'?

P.S. the card is awesome once I got it working!  This is a real bargain, and
is a cinch to configure aside from the problem mentioned here.

Regards,

Scott Kidder