[mythtv-users] Audiophile and TV audio?

Joe Henley joehenley at kc.rr.com
Mon Jun 23 18:50:59 UTC 2008

Allen,

When you say "SPDIF for my surround processor" I assume you mean you
want to output a signal from your sound card SPDIF connector into a
receiver/amp which will convert the digital signal from the SPDIF into
analog and then output that thru your speakers. Ie., the digital to
analog takes place in the receiver/amp.

If so, then from my experience, I'd recommend you use alsa drivers to
send the signal thru the SPDIF.  STAY AWAY from PukeAudio, it is still
far too buggy to use in complex environments.  With a receiver/amp to do
your digital to analog conversions, you don't need to care about alsa's
up-conversion capabilities.

As for drivers for your sound card, it's one I'm unfamiliar with.  You
would probably do best by googling the primary dsp chip for info.  There
are fewer of those than you might imagine, so many folks have luck with
drivers for other card brands, but same dsp.  In my case, I found the
alsa and alsa wiki sites helpful.

On the less positive side, if I recall correctly, there aren't many
folks who have had success getting simultaneous output of SPDIF and
analog (some output jack on the sound card).  You would probably have
more success getting SPDIF to your reveiver/amp to work, then grab the
additional analog you want from an auxillary output on the receiver/amp.

Good luck!  It's possible to do what you want with enough time, energy,
and money.  ;-)

Joe Henley