[mythtv-users] Apple TV FE with DVD Player?

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Mon Jun 23 15:34:24 UTC 2008

>  >Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 13:43:26 -0400
>>From: "Scott D. Davilla" <davilla at 4pi.com>
>
>>>We are unlikely to be using 1080p any time soon.  Both of our
>>>televisions are CRT models and neither is terribly large, so until
>>>and unless we buy new televisions, I think that the lower resolutions
>>>will be perfectly adequate.   In fact I don't think there'd be any
>>>advantage at all in being able to output 1080p, except as a hedge
>>>against future needs.
>>
>>While the AppleTV can not render 1080p content, it can certainly
>>output 1080p video. There a difference between video content
>>resolution and video display resolution.
>
>Hmmm.   I can think of a couple of different ways to interpret this
>statement in practice.   It looks like you found a pocket of
>ignorance in my head.  :-)    Would you be willing to elaborate or
>point me at a source of more information?

There's only one way. You have video content resolution and you have
video display resolution. They are independent. It's an easy concept,
for example, one uses an HDHomeRun to record 480p, 720p or 1080i
video content. That's the native size of the video content.

Now I can play that video content on different sized video displays.
So 480p content played to a display running at 720p and so on.

So there is nothing that prevents play 480p, 720p and 1080i mpeg2
content to a AppleTV that is driving a display at 1080p.

The AppleTV cannot render 1080p content to any display resolution.

>  >>with a drive under the TV where she can insert the DVD and push a few
>>>buttons.
>>
>>That certainly supported. The AppleTV has only one USB port so if you
>>need to connect more than one USB device you will need a USB 2.0 hub.
>
>>Time == money again. The best bang/buck is to get a MS UBS mce IR
>>receiver/remote (less than $30) and it's supported by most MythTV
>>distros without having to futz with lirc and keymaps.
>
>So if I want to have an external DVD player and an MS USB mce IR R/R
>I'll need a hub so that I can connect them both.   Hubs are very
>inexpensive though.

Yes, make sure it supports USB 2.0 480 speed.