[mythtv-users] Problem: LiveTV ok, recordings are crappy

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 15:36:16 UTC 2008

> On Sunday 22 June 2008 08:29:08 Nick Morrott wrote:
>
>  >
>  > As you have 2 DVB-T tuners, it's highly likely that LiveTV and
>  > scheduled recordings are using different tuners. In LiveTV (where you
>  > don't see any problems) change to the other tuner's input (you can do
>  > this via the OSD menu) and see if you start to see the same types of
>  > problems you see in your scheduled recordings. Under normal
>  > circumstances, MythTV will use the first capture card input configured
>  > (highest recording preference) for scheduled recordings, and the last
>  > input configured (lowest recording preference) for LiveTV.
>  >
>  > Based on your report, it is very likley that the signal levels to the
>  > two tuners are different, and that the tuner for LiveTV has a stronger
>  > signal than the tuner being used first for scheduled recordings. A
>  > simple test is to schedule 2 recordings at the same time on different
>  > channels (and on different multiplexes if you have multirec enabled to
>  > make sure different physical tuners are used). Another test is to
>  > watch LiveTV and enable Picture in Picture when both tuners will be
>  > used at the same time, and see if you have any problems.
>  >
>  > When using DVB/ATSC tuners, picture breakup/green blocks/freezes/audio
>  > pops are indicative of poor signal quality - so this needs to be
>  > checked first. If you swap over the RF flyleads into your 2 USB
>  > tuners, do you now see perfect recordings but poor LiveTV?
>

> I believe the behavior you describe is controlled by a setup option
>  called "avoid conflicts between live TV and recordings" (or something like
>  that). Without that option being set Myth starts either recordings or live TV
>  with the first tuner.

As I understand things looking at
http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/13618, that setting controls
whether or not the scheduler will interrupt a LiveTV session (if
disabled) or will reschedule a recording later if a LiveTV session is
in progress (if enabled). I don't think it generally affects which
card is used for LiveTV.

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki: