[mythtv-users] Can't see thumbnails in mythweb for recordingsof CIFS share

Shawn Flynn sflynn1 at rogers.com
Fri Jun 20 18:33:53 UTC 2008

On June 20, 2008 1:30 PM, Gabe Rubin wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Obviously you have enough permissions that the backend can record.
> > Are preview images being created by the backend/frontend for normal
> > use with mythfrontend or are you seeing problems with both those
> > thumbnails and the ones mythweb is trying to make?  My gut reaction is
> > that whatever user apache is launching mythbackend as to generate the
> > previews either doesn't have permissions to the files or doesn't see the
mount?

> > Kevin
>
> Permissions are not the issue, all users have full access to the directory
the
> files are stored in, and all users have read access to all the files
generated
> by myth (including the thumbnails).  I can also use the direct download
icon
> from mythweb to dl the mpg file, so that further shows it is not a
permission
> issue.  I think the issue is what Shawn said.
>
> When I have time, I will look into NFS.  I am just curious if that gives
me
> other benefits besides this.  It seems like a non-trivial thing to set up
SFU
> and NFS on a windows box, and if the only plus is to make mythweb pretty,
> I am not sure it is worth it.

The main advantage for me was that I now am able to access my Windows server
using the native tools for whatever client I happen to be on at the time. My
Windows clients use CIFS/SMB and my linux boxen use NFS. No more futzing
with smbclient on my linux machines.

While I wouldn't say it was 'trivial' to set up, it certainly wasn't hard
either. It was the first time I set it up and I had everything installed and
working within an hour. Granted, this was on a Win 2003 R2 server which has
much of the tools already installed and streamlined, but it isn't _that_
much different with the SFU download for older servers. While it is probably
OT for this list, feel free to contact me offline if you feel like giving it
a go and want some pointers.

Shawn Flynn