[mythtv-users] ASUS says toss my AMD board and buy an Intel board and processor.

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Fri Jun 20 13:41:55 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 7:21 PM, George Mari
<george_mythusers at mari1938.org> wrote:
> Allen Edwards wrote:
>> I called Linux tech support at ASUS regarding the problem where I go
>> into Low Resolution mode 1/3 of the time after reboot, and the problem
>> that my air2pc card takes 5 minutes to initialize after a reboot.
>>
>> The conclusion was that there is a conflict between the MB and the
>> air2pc card and that the solution is to either get rid of those cards,
>> or get an Intel MB.  He said the Intel MB chip sets are really good
>> and deal with interrupts much better than the AMD boards.  Not really
>> what I wanted to hear with my new hardware.
>>

> [deleted]
>
> I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but have you checked the
> contents of /proc/interrupts to see if any interrupts are shared,
> especially with your air2pc card?  May not explain your 5 minute
> initialization, but you never know.
>

> Nothing unusual in /var/log/messages from the air2pc driver during bootup?

Thanks all for the suggestions.  I have upgraded the BIOS and the
first boot after that was a failure but they have been fine since
then.  I would say the jury is still out on that.

The interrupts look fine.  The air2pc seems to be on 21 and is alone.
The video card shares with a couple of USB ports.  I have nothing in
the ports so don't think that could be an issue.

The messages file is full of errors I don't understand, but all the
reporting on the TV card are clean.

I am going to try a different video card if the bios change didn't fix it.

Thanks all again for the help.  Sometimes you just get stuck and the
suggestions are great.

Allen