[mythtv-users] Odd behaviour when a program is scheduled to record by two schedules at once

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Fri Jun 20 08:23:19 UTC 2008

David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
>  On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 11:55:44PM +0100, Nick Morrott wrote:
> > On 18/06/2008, Nick Craig-Wood <nick at craig-wood.com> wrote:
> > >  What happens then is that one program is scheduled to record by two
> > >  recording schedules.  What I'd expect to happen is that the high
> > >  priority one would win and "House" would definitely be recorded.
> > >  However what actually happens is that the low priority recording
> > >  schedule wins, and "House" is scheduled to record with a priority of
> > >  -4.  This then means that isn't recorded because there are other
> > >  recordings of higher priority at the same time which is absolutely not
> > >  what I want to happen (my wife will kill me!).
> > >
> > >  I'm running 0.20.2.svn20071021-0.2 which isn't the latest version, so
> > >  perhaps this is fixed in the latest version?
> > >
> > >  I could perhaps re-number or re-order the recording schedules to get
> > >  them to activate in the other order - would that help?
>
>  Yes, that would help.  When two schedules match the same program, the
>  more specific rule generally wins regardless of the priorities.  For example,
>   a single recording rule beats a weekly recording rule which in turn betas
>  a record all on any channel rule.  In your case, both schedules are
>  record all on any channel so a tie breaker is used and the schedule
>  which was create earlier wins.  If you recreate your rules in the
>  opposite order, you should get what you want.

I tried fiddling with the dates in the database to no effect, so what
I did was delete the star rating based schedule and re-create it as
you suggested to get it after the "House" schedule.

That worked perfectly!

It isn't an ideal solution as I'll have to remember to keep that
recording last, but it is a lot better than nothing!

Thanks

Nick